Saturday, June 18, 2011

How to Impress that VW-loving Girl in Your Life

Jon knows about my blog (or blug and I obnoxiously called it the other day). When he got home from work last night, I was tired, but he insisted I go down to the Beetle and post pictures of the cars new tires. But Jon, I argued, everyone knows what tires look like! Still, I was happy that he was interested in both of my projects so I went along with it. So, folks, here it is...a new tire.


I think it's beautiful, but I tend to dote. Also, it was nice to drive the car yesterday without thinking that 75% of my tires had a strong chance of experiencing spontaneous failure in the immediate future.

Of course, I didn't just buy new tires yesterday. He also wanted me to take a picture of the burnt fuse cover.



Yup, it's burnt alright. I tried to install the new fuses, but the one for the windshield wipers threw sparks and burned my thumb as soon as the fuse made contact with the panel. My next guess is that a little rodent had a tasty snack of wire coating while the vehicle was left standing. I wish those books would hurry up and get here! I found a wiring diagram for my Beetle:http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

German 1971 Beetle Wiring Diagram

For German-speakers and people who need a key (i.e. those of us who for whom wiring diagrams mostly look like abstract art), go here:
German language version with key

So I'll look around today and see if I can find any obvious problems in the wiring for the windshield wipers. That, plus the oil change, replacing the spark plugs, and checking the timing should be enough VW for me for today.

Then, Jon said "Oh, and don't forget to take a picture of this one" and started moving towards the glove box. I thought he wanted me to photograph the trunk lever. Then I looked inside...



Who knew that my Beetle is almost the same color as a Tiffany's box?! Of course, it's not the box that matters...



Of course I said yes. It was the sweetest thing ever. :-D

So now I have another reason to get my beetle finished up in the next year. It has a wedding to go to!

Of course, getting engaged didn't change my oil, nor did it fix my windshield wipers, so it's time for me to get to work!

2 comments: